Fit for Life health promotion
Fit for Life is a twelve week course of exercise and education for anyone living with or after illness
"The results have been outstanding. It’s an experience I won’t forget. I got more out of the course than I expected – meeting different people; keeping active; talking about things"
Fit for Life participant
The course takes place each Saturday for twelve weeks from 10:30am to 12:30pm at St Christopher’s Rehabilitation Gym
Living with or after a chronic or long term illness can be difficult. This free interactive course is for anyone living in the local area who wants support to improve their recovery, or boost their confidence.
It takes place at St Christopher’s where there is a fully equipped gym and experienced staff who will work with you. Each session includes education, discussion, and supervised exercise in the gym, plus the option of purchasing lunch or refreshments in the Anniversary Centre cafe afterwards.
- Week 1: Introductions To each other, to the programme, to St Christopher’s.
- Week 2: Fatigue and Exercise Looking at the symptom of fatigue and the benefits of exercise.
- Week 3: Eating Well Looking at what constitutes a healthy diet and how to adopt one.
- Week 4: What is my role in life? Looking at how living with an illness might have changed your roles in work, in the family, in relationships, hobbies, or leisure.
- Week 5: Thinking Traps Looking at the benefits and difficulties of thinking about and planning for the future; exploring techniques that may help.
- Week 6: What next? A chance to review goals set at the beginning and make an action plan for next steps.
This is not a course for patients currently under St Christopher’s care
“I am going back to uni to finish my course. Before coming on this programme I would have tried to do it on my own, to try and be normal. Now I am empowered to ask for help”
“The results have been outstanding. It’s an experience I won’t forget. I got more out of the course than I expected – meeting different people; keeping active; talking about things”
“This is the first activity I have done in a long time. I was depressed. This made me excited on Saturday mornings, has given me drive and I have gone back to playing football”
“This has been positive and enabled me to get back into the game (of life)”
To book onto the next course or to find out more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 020 8768 4608