The Halley Stewart Library at St Christopher’s houses a comprehensive collection of material on all aspects of palliative care, death and bereavement
About the Library
In breadth and depth, it provides users with a unique resource on:
- clinical work
- education and training
- information for service users.
Individuals are welcome to use the library in a variety of ways:
- by email
- by phone
- by letter
- by appointment on a reference-only basis.
- searches on the in-house database of c15,000 items (books, articles and grey literature)
- advice on locating current key literature on palliative care
- information on key UK palliative care websites
- information on making the best use of NHS Evidence resources
- a blog on latest bereavement literature
- a photocopying service.
Specific resources include:
- over 5,000 books
- pamphlet collection of approximately 5,000 items
- over 40 journals, mainly specialist ones, on palliative care and bereavement
- unpublished reports and theses
- history of hospices and early material on palliative care
- writings by and about Dame Cicely Saunders
- publications by St Christopher’s staff
From the catalogue, very specific searches can be made available easily, eg:
- conference proceedings
- complicated grief
- care homes and palliative care
- information on Dame Cicely Saunders.
Information for the public
Whilst the library has an emphasis on assisting health professionals, it also provides information for the public who have a personal interest in this area or who are service users, eg:
- books to help bereaved children and adults
- young people undertaking projects
From the library catalogue:
The following provides just a few examples of the extent of subject coverage of the library –you can receive a selection of references on the following topics:
- Advance care planning
- Around the time of death
- Bereavement ( subject headings on this topic)
- Co morbidity and complex problems
- Professions within palliative care
- Definitions within palliative care
- Health promotion and death education in palliative care
- Social care
St Christopher’s Hospice
- St Christopher’s staff publications 2012
- Journals in the library
- Book classification in the library
Dame Cicely Saunders
- Articles by Dame Cicely Saunders available online
- Works by Dame Cicely Saunders in the library
- Quotes from the work of Cicely Saunders
- Items by Cicely Saunders in the library
Items from other sources
- Key websites on palliative care
- Useful subject headings when searching major database on palliative care
- NHS Evidence
The Librarian is responsible for the Bookshop at St Christopher’s Hospice, which contains core publications on palliative care, mainly published in Great Britain.Various publications, available from the Bookshop and Library, give a full account of the history of this hospice and of its founder Dame Cicely Saunders.
The information in this section will be expanded over the coming months.
The Library service is available to staff and in-house students.
Anyone else who would like to visit the Library or Bookshop in person, is asked to first please phone the Librarian, Denise Brady on 020 8768 4660.
The Library is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday-Friday on a reference only basis.
The Librarian can provide advice and guidance on palliative care resources.
Selective literature searches from the in-house database can be provided for a small fee.
A limited photocopying service is also available for a fee.
Contact Denise Brady, Librarian
Find out more downloads, contacts and useful links
Contact Denise Brady, Librarian