Could you be a confident ambassador representing St Christopher’s and helping us build community links?
Why we need your help
- To enable us to raise awareness of our vision in which all dying people and those close to them have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
- We are looking for a team of confident ambassadors to represent St Christopher’s and help build community links, across our catchment.
What time should you offer?
We are asked to attend events throughout the year, weekends, weekdays, daytimes and evenings – it varies! We will contact you as and when we need help with as much notice as possible. You’ll be able to choose the amount of commitment to suit your circumstances.
What activities will you be involved in as part of this volunteer role?
- This role does not include making a speech but you would be required to mingle with attendees and possibly receive a cheque.
- Attending cheque presentations and photo opportunities for money that supporters have raised, thanking them for their donation
- Attending external events organised by supporters on behalf of St Christopher’s, such as dinner dances, street parties or sporting events, thanking them for their support
- Representing St Christopher’s at awareness events, such as an information stall within local hospitals or supermarkets. (A medical background is not required.)
Where will you be based?
We need ambassadors to cover our catchment in the boroughs Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark. However you can specify which areas you will be able to cover.
What you can gain from volunteering in this role
- Join an enthusiastic team of people and get more involved in your local community
- Know you are building relationships within the local community and helping dying people in your local community have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
Training and support provided
- Tour of the hospice to show all facilities and the breadth of our work
- Training session with Fundraising and Communication Teams to discuss key messages, and fundraising activities, initiatives and upcoming events
- Ongoing support from the Fundraising and Communication teams as needed
- Reimbursement of travel costs in relation to the role
What we are looking for
- Enjoys meeting and talking to new and different people, and able to build rapport
- Able to use your own initiative and work unsupervised
- If you are a current patient, or have used our services we would be keen to get you involved if you would be comfortable talking about your personal experience to individuals in an informal way at events
- Ability to follow our policies and procedures to keep you, our staff, our patients and our supporters safe
- Ability to represent St Christopher’s and our values positivity and enthusiastically
- A driving license and use of own car would be useful for this role, but is not essential
Anything else you need to know
- You must be 18 years old or over to do this role
- The volunteer role will be agreed with you following receipt of two references
- There is a short settling in period to see if the role is right for you
- Before you start the role you are expected to attend an initial training session which will be held at our Sydenham address, (51-59 Lawrie Park Road, SE26 6DZ). The training session date and time can be flexible around your availability.
Please download the files below
Download full Charity Champion role description (docx)
Download volunteer application form (docx)