Volunteer with us at Moonlight Walk in Croydon
Help all of our walkers have the best day possible on Saturday 24 February 2018!
Why we need your help
This year’s St Christopher’s Moonlight walk is is taking place on Saturday 24 February in Croydon. It is approximately 4 miles long starting and finishing at Coloma School, Shirley Hills Road, Croydon, CRO 5AS. All walkers will start to arrive at 6pm to sign in before they set off at 7pm.
Volunteers are the only way we can make this event happen. You will be on hand to help ensure the smooth running of the event and help all of our walkers have the best day possible!
All the money you raise will go directly to St Christopher’s Bereavement Services alongside Woodside Bereavement Service– a free counselling service for families living in the Croydon area who are experiencing bereavement and loss.
What activities will you be involved in as part of this volunteer role?
There are lots of ways you can help make our Moonlight Walk a great evening for everyone involved. When signing up to volunteer you can choose what role you would like to do.
- Promotion – help needed to circulate flyers in your local high street and within the Croydon area in January and February for a few hours
- Route marker – help needed to put up signage along the route on Thursday 22nd February 2018 for about 4 hours. Walk the route whilst carrying a rucksack and equipment (everything is provided) to put up signs to ensure walkers follow the route safely and don’t get lost.
- Delivering letters to local residents – help is needed to distribute residents letters and put up posters along the route and this will take a whole day. Please let us know what days you can do week commencing the 22nd January.
On the Day – Saturday 24 February
- Morning – Walk the route and help us put up signage along the route for about 3 hours
- Morning/Afternoon – Walk the route and help us put up battery powered lights along the route for about 3 hours.
- Marshalling: You will be positioned at key points in the route to ensure walkers are heading in the right direction, as well as cheering them on and keeping them motivated!
- At the finish line: We need energetic volunteers to congratulate our walkers as they cross the finish line and present them with their medals.
- Event setup: Help setup the event site at the school, route with signage, place lanterns along the route. Set up refreshments, registration and t-shirts stands
- Event breakdown: Help take everything down at the end of the day. This includes decorations along the route, signage and event site.
- Base Camp Team: Enthusiastic volunteers interact with our walkers before and after the walk. This will include selling our merchandise, registration, refreshments, directing our walkers, looking after the car park and generally looking after our walkers. You’ll also help to keep the event site clean and tidy, ensuring everyone is safe at the event.
Where will you be based?
The walk starts and finishes at Coloma School, Shirley Hills Road, Croydon, CRO 5AS. Marshal points will be located around the route.
What you can gain from volunteering in this role
- Join an enthusiastic team of people and get more involved in your local community
- Use and develop your skills, such as communication, customer service and event organisation, enhancing your CV
- Know you are helping dying people in your local community have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
Training and support provided
- Health and safety briefings where needed
- Shown how to use any equipment as required
- Support from the Fundraising Team in the event lead up and on the day
What we are looking for
- Willingness to help at outdoor events, whatever the weather!
- Enjoys meeting and talking to people
- Ability to follow our policies and procedures to keep you, our staff, our patients and our events attendees safe
- Ability to represent St Christopher’s and our values positivity.
Volunteer with friends or family!
You will be certain to make friends on the night, but why not encourage friends or family to join you and share the experience? Let us know and we guarantee you will be together!
Register your interest
Register your interest to Volunteer With Us at Moonlight Walk by letting Adelle know by emailing her at email@example.com what you would like to do.
Please download the files below
Download Moonlight Walk volunteer role description (docx)
Download volunteer application form (docx)