Patient and Family Support Volunteer
Would you like to volunteer to support patients and families at St Christopher’s?
Why we need your help
Patients, their families and our community tell us that coping with the practicalities, feelings and questions which arise when thinking about dying and death is challenging. As a Patient and Family Support Volunteer, you will offer support alongside our staff to provide a friendly, open and empowering experience to those who come into the hospice or those who receive our support in their home.
You will play a huge part in helping us to achieve our vision, in which all dying people and those close to them have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
What time should you offer?
Our Patient and Family Support Volunteers take part in a training course which is quite an investment, so ideally you would be able to stay with us for a year after the training is complete – we’d love you to stay longer!
We urgently need volunteers for weekends and evenings
We currently have limited daytime shifts in the hospice itself during the week. However, we do urgently need volunteers to;
- visit patients at home during weekdays across Croydon, Lewisham, Bromley, Lambeth, Southwark
- support our inpatient unit (wards) and Anniversary Centre at our Sydenham site on evenings and weekends
What activities will you be involved in as part of this volunteer role?
You can help;
- at one of our day centers
- within our inpatient service
- our patients and their loved ones in their homes (Community Support)
- patients in our gym
- with Young Adults Day
- by driving patients to one of our day centres by escorting patients to one of our day centres
We ask that our Patient and Family Support Volunteers are flexible and able to support across a range of areas as needed. This will be discussed with you individually.
Where will you be based?
Depending on the role(s) you are undertaking you will be based –
In your local community:
you will be matched with someone who lives locally or is accessible for you to visit easily.
In one of our buildings:
- St Christopher’s Hospice, 51-59 Lawrie Park Road, Sydenham, London, SE26 6DZ
- Caritas House, Tregony Road, Orpington, Kent, BR6 9XA
What you can gain from volunteering in this role
- Join an enthusiastic team of people and get more involved in your local community
- Use and develop your skills, enhancing your CV
- Enhancing understanding of health and social care and hospices
- Know you are helping dying people in your local community have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
Anything else you need to know
- The volunteer role will be agreed with you following successful completion of an interview, mandatory training, references obtained and a DBS check
- There is a short settling in period to see if the role is right for you
Please download the files below
Download full Patient and Family Support role descriptions (docx)
Download volunteer application form (docx)