St Christopher’s Young Changemakers
08 Jul, 2024
- 5 days
- Young Changemakers is a free opportunity. We will cover travel expenses, as well as providing breakfast and lunch.
- This course is subsidised by a grant from Tallow Chandlers
- All prices include VAT
- CARE, St Christopher's Hospice, 51-9 Lawrie Park Road, London, SE26 6DZ
Are you interested in changing the way things happen, do you have an idea about how to do it, or would you like to learn more about how communities and young people can be part of tackling community and end of life challenges?
At St Christopher’s we are keen to support people in the community who want to change things for the better. The end of life can have challenges for all of us and we want to improve people’s experiences of it. We don’t think that change is just for professionals to make, but that we all need to learn from and encourage each other to do this for it to happen.
We also think that young people are an important part of change-making, now and in the future, and so we’ve put together an exciting and interactive opportunity for young learners in our local community.
Young Changemakers is a summer school and leadership development programme for 16-18-year olds who are interested in helping in their community to support others and create change.
Over the course of 5 days we’ll work on considering how communities can support one another particularly with difficult experiences or on caring for one another. You’ll get to know other people who are keen to make a change in their community, learn from a range of people who support others, and also think about your goals ahead. We’ll have workshops and opportunities to think about your own personal development and see how change involves all of us.
You’ll also have the opportunity to meet health and social care professionals, and to develop skills and approaches that will be useful in future careers and across your life.
What will I learn?
- Yourself, self-care and resilience, how caring for ourselves helps us care for others
- How to talk about important topics and express ourselves, and why that is good for us all
- The role of communities and different professionals at healthcare organisations in taking care of others at the end of life
- The importance of diverse communities, activism, and community leadership
- The role young people can play in this
- Change-making and how to make change in your communities
What will the course look like?
Applicants can apply for a five-day summer school programme or a year-long opportunity that will include the five days at the summer school but also run throughout the year as a leadership development opportunity. This longer opportunity aims to help students see themselves as leaders and contributors to change.
The summer five-day programme will be based at St Christopher’s Hospice in Sydenham, with one day spent in the community. During the week students will combine knowledge-based learning with practical and experiential learning. They’ll be asked to think about healthcare, the community, helping others and how we can be proactive and part of a collaborative effort to support one another with end of life experiences.
The year-long opportunity includes the five-day programme and also online and selected weekend mornings during the term which will be flexible and scheduled to meet the needs of attendees. There will be no more than five extra days in total of attendance expected. During this time participants will work on personal leadership, goals and development, particularly within the community.
Who is it for?
Young Changemakers is a summer school and leadership development programme for 16-18-year olds in full-time education who are interested in helping their community to support others and create change.
Please note that preference will be given to those living within the 5 London boroughs we serve: Lewisham, Croydon, Bromley, Lambeth and Southwark.
This course is subsidised by the generosity of a grant from Tallow Chandlers
- Get to know each other and tell us about yourselves, and take part in creative arts sessions
- Learn more about different healthcare approaches and how people work together to support people at the end of life
- Think about communities and what they mean to us and how they help our wellbeing, and plan a social change campaign
- Join a hosted study visit to organisations making change in the community
General Timetable for Young Changemakers Year-long Programme
- Includes the above and also
- Monthly one-hour peer mentoring sessions in the evening
- Three weekend day sessions between October 2024 and March 2025
- A celebration event in June 2025
More informationFor more information and how to apply, please contact us