Dr Fliss E M Murtagh
Fliss is an NIHR Senior Investigator.
Dr Fliss E M Murtagh, FRCP PhD MRCGP MBBS, works as Professor of Palliative Care at Hull York Medical School, Honorary Consultant in Palliative Medicine at Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, and Visiting Professor of Palliative Care at the Cicely Saunders Institute, King’s College London, UK.
She is experienced in providing palliative care to a wide range of people with far advanced disease and their families, and has published extensively (Scopus-indexed publications 175, Scopus H-Index 39), on palliative and end-of-life care needs, especially for older people and those with advanced kidney disease. She is also experienced in research methods: cohort and cross sectional surveys, psychometrics, implementation and use of outcomes, especially the Integrated Palliative care Outcome Scale (see www.pos-pal.org).
Some of her current and recent projects are:
- The PACE project – Understanding facilitators and barriers to inform ongoing service development of the Integrated Care Service for older frail people at the Jean Bishop Centre, 2018-22. Funded by the University of Hull and Hull CCG: this project – in partnership with Dan Harman and colleagues at the Jean Bishop Centre – is evaluating this new innovative service and exploring future developments.
- The Yorkshire & Humber Palliative Care Research Network: Addressing Inequalities Across All Ages, 2022-23. Funded by NIHR: this new research network (starting March 2022) will facilitate palliative care research across Yorkshire & Humber region, reaching out to new partners across the county.
- RESOLVE: Improving health status and symptom experience for people living with advanced cancer, 2018-23. Funded by Yorkshire Cancer Research: the RESOLVE project continues Fliss’ national work to implement outcome measures into palliative care, and to study best ways to do this.
- Research England – International Investment Initiative (I3). Building Critical Mass, Increasing Scale and Impact For Palliative Care Through International Collaboration, 2019-2024. Building international collaboration to support and expand palliative care research; together with Miriam Johnson, Fliss works on a collaboration with University of Technology, Sydney, Australia.
- Yorkshire Cancer Research. TRANSFORM: Reducing inequalities in cancer outcomes in Yorkshire, 2017-2023. Funded by Yorkshire Cancer Research: this programme is developing innovation in diagnosis, patient management, survivorship, and palliative care research; Fliss is part of the executive leadership group for the programme.
Fliss’ publications are available at http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1289-3726