Other bereavement benefits you may be entitled to

Other benefits you could be entitled to when you've been bereaved

You may be entitled to Carer’s Allowance, Universal Credit, Council Tax, Council Tax Support, Housing Benefit and/or healthcare costs.

Carer’s Allowance

If you were claiming Carer’s Allowance for looking after the person who has died (or had an underlying entitlement because you claimed and got another benefit instead), you continue to get it for 8 weeks after their death. This may mean that you get extra Pension Credit, Legacy Benefits: Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, if you qualify for these benefits during this period.

Universal Credit

In some circumstances, some amounts of a joint claim for universal credit can continue at their existing rate after a person dies, including the couple rate and the carer element.  For up to 3 months your benefit is worked out as if they had not died. This is sometimes called ‘bereavement run on’.  After this your universal credit will be recalculated as a single claim. 

Council Tax

If you are now the only adult living in your home you may be entitled to the Single Person’s Discount on your Council Tax. This will be 25% off the total Council Tax Bill.   Contact your local authority Council Tax Office. You will also need to let them know if you were getting a disability or carer discount which no longer applies.

Council Tax Support

If you are on a low income you may also be able to claim Council Tax Support to help pay your Council Tax.  The amount you get will depend on your income and savings.  If you were already getting Council Tax Benefit or Support with your partner, you will need to inform the local authority and make a new claim.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. The amount you get will depend on your income and savings. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if either of the following apply:

  • you have reached State Pension age
  • you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

Usually, you will not get Housing Benefit if your savings are over £16,000 – unless you get Guarantee Credit of Pension Credit

If you were already getting Housing Benefit with your partner, you will need to inform the local authority Housing Benefit Team, and make a new claim or claim universal credit for help with your housing costs.   You must have the tenancy in your name to be able to claim help with the rent.

If you are paying a mortgage you may be able to get help with paying mortgage interest and service charges if you are entitled to a top-up benefit like Universal Credit or Pension Credit.

Healthcare Costs

If you receive both elements of Pension Credit or Guarantee Credit only, you are automatically entitled to: free NHS dental checks and treatment, a voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses, help towards travel costs to receive NHS treatment after being referred by a doctor, dentist or optician and free NHS wigs and fabric supports.

If you received Universal Credit, you qualify for help with health costs if on the date you claim, you either:

  • receive Universal Credit and either had no earnings or had net earnings of £435 or less in your last Universal Credit assessment period
  • receive Universal Credit, which includes an element for a child, or you (or your partner) had limited capability for work (LCW) or limited capability for work and work-related activity (LCWRA), and you either had no earnings or net earnings of £935 or less in your last Universal Credit assessment period

You should present a copy of your Universal Credit award notice to prove your entitlement. You’ll need to have met the eligibility criteria in the last completed Universal Credit assessment period before your health costs arose.

If you have a low income, you may also be able to get help with NHS costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS).

There are 2 ways to apply for the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS). You can apply online on the NHS Business Services Authority website or by post on form HC1

Please note: These benefits usually only apply if you have no restrictions on your right to remain in the UK. If you have an uncertain immigration status, please get further advice.

You might also be interested in:

Bereavement services

St Christopher’s Bereavement Service

Our adult bereavement service supports anyone whose relative or friend was cared for by St Christopher’s

Support with worries or concerns

Social work and welfare

Palliative care social workers that work with you

Carers healthy walks

Carer support

Information about the support we provide to carers.

Skip to content