April 2023 saw the relaunch of our community of practice for prescribers. We asked Fiona Hodson and Mary Watson to tell us more about the new programme and why you should join this community. You can read their blog here.
Sessions take place online on Zoom and run from 2 – 4pm. Dates and topics below.
What will I learn?
This year’s topics:
- Thursday 13 April: Prescribing for people with Parkinson’s Disease
- Thursday 8 June: Prescribing in Complex Pain, including use of NSAID and advance pain assessments
- Thursday 20 July: Prescribing in Nausea & Vomiting / Anti- emetics
- Thursday 14 September: Sedation and Ethics
- Thursday 16 November: Prescribing in Dementia
- Thursday 11 January 2024: Innovations in palliative care prescribing, new drugs/ off licence medications and use of cannabinoids
What will the Community of Practice look like?
This annual membership programme provides a monthly online community of practice supporting Nurses and Allied Health Care Professionals who are independent prescribers working in palliative and end of life care. The community provides members with a space for reflection, discussion and sharing of best practice.
This year we have chosen to continue with last year’s format of delivery ensuring we maximise opportunities for people to learn together as a community during live sessions. This community will meet 6 times per year (alternate months). In between the live sessions ongoing learning, reflection and critical thinking will also be facilitated through on demand resources, activities and forum discussions.
The sessions, covering a wide range of end of life prescribing issues, will include opportunities to learn from clinical experts whilst being supported to consider application of learning in practice through case study discussions, reflection and Q&A.
Members of the community can access the presentations on our Online Learning Platform (OLP). The OLP will also be home to documents, reference materials and the case studies discussed in the sessions.
Who is it for?
This annual subscription will be of interest to nurse and pharmacist independent prescribers working in palliative care.