Job vacancy details
Community Complementary Therapist
- Complementary Therapy Department
- £28,691 per annum FTE (pro rata salary of £17,931.88)
- Permanent - Part Time
- 22.5 hours per week
- Closing date:
- 6 May 2021
This is a fantastic opportunity to work at a leading Hospice who aspires to a world in which all dying people and those close to them have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it. St Christopher’s Hospice was founded in 1967 by Dame Cicely Saunders and formed part of the modern hospice movement. Proudly celebrating over 50 years and with a turnover of over £20 million, we provide invaluable care and support to over 7,500 people across the five London Boroughs of Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark.
Your new role
An exciting vacancy has appeared within our spirited Complementary Therapies team, who offer one-to-one sessions to outpatients, inpatients and patients living in the community, as well as carers and family members. Our services include aromatherapy, acupuncture, reflexology and massage.
You will be working in the community to provide in-home complementary therapies to our patients and carers, and be responsible for assessing, planning, organising, and providing massage therapy that creates a caring and safe environment, addressing the comfort needs of our patients, and positively impacting on the patients’ wellbeing. You will accept and assess referrals, plan and evaluate information, identifying any key issues to formulate treatment plans based on sound, practical judgement, experience and common sense. You will record and keep accurate documentation of patient / carer treatments; demonstrating good organisational, administration and computer literacy skills.
Liaising regularly with the Complementary Therapy Lead, you will feedback your progress or concerns regarding any aspect of the clinical work, and receive guidance to structure your workload appropriately. You will also participate in any audit or research being carried out by Complementary Therapies Team.
To succeed in this role
- You will be qualified at level 3 or above in Massage or Aromatherapy and hold an additional qualification, therefore have the ability to offer one or more complementary therapy treatment.
- You will be a member of the Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) or the Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT).
- You will be skilled at delivering individualised complementary therapy treatments - appropriate for patients with advanced disease and their carers.
- You should have at least 2 years’ experience working with people at end of life, with the ability to recognise patient deterioration and changes.
- It is important that you understand the dying process and have the ability to be able to manage the emotional impact of working with the dying and bereaved
- You will have a great understanding of loss and grief and how this impacts individuals, their families and their social network
- You will have good organisational and administration skills including good computer literacy.
- It is essential that you are able to work independently and as part of a multi-professional team, and thus possess excellent communication and liaison skills.
If this sounds like you, we will be excited to hear from you!
Benefits of joining St Christopher’s
- You will gain a stimulating and rewarding career with an opportunity to influence and make a real difference in the community
- Access to excellent training and development opportunities
- Season ticket loans
- A number of health and wellbeing schemes
- A competitive contributory pension scheme and life assurance scheme with generous beneficiary plan
- Access to plenty of free local street parking.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Sarah Guyan - Complementary Therapies Lead, on 0208 768 4559 or S.Guyan@stchristophers.org.uk
Please have a look at our website for further information on all aspects of St Christopher’s at www.stchristophers.org.uk and to apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply Online’ button below.
Closing Date: 6th May 2021 at Midnight
Interview Date: TBC
In the event we receive a high amount of applications, we reserve the right to close the job earlier than the initial closing date.
For any queries, please contact our recruitment line on 0208 768 4680