Job vacancy details
Candle Child Bereavement Worker (6-12 Month Maternity Cover)
- Candle Child Bereavement Service
- £22,721- £25,475
- Fixed Term - Part Time
- 22.5 hours plus out of hours group work
- Closing date:
- 8 December 2021
This is a fantastic opportunity to work at a leading Hospice who aspires to a world in which all dying people and those close to them have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it. St Christopher’s Hospice was founded in 1967 by Dame Cicely Saunders and formed part of the modern hospice movement. Proudly celebrating over 50 years and with a turnover of over £20 million, we provide invaluable care and support to over 7,500 people across the five London Boroughs of Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark.
Your new role
We have a truly rewarding position that has arisen for an experienced Children’s Counsellor to join our warm and dedicated team. The Candle Child Bereavement Service provides one-to-one and group counselling for children and young people experiencing loss through death. The team also provide specialist training, advice and consultancy services to schools and other organisation’s working with children facing bereavement, and offer an advice service to parents and carers.
As a Candle Child Bereavement Worker, you will play an integral part in the team providing time limited one to one bereavement counselling to children, young people and families referred to the Service by parents, carers and professionals. You will participate in, and when required lead group counselling, and assess the bereavement needs of children within the family context, to suggest or make referrals on to other agencies as appropriate. You will need to maintain professional boundaries as well as be able to respond with empathy and understanding to families who are managing the death of someone close to them.
To succeed in this role
- You will hold a Level 4 qualification and registration in counselling, and possess significant post qualification experience of working therapeutically with children and young people in a context that includes families.
- It is important that you have experience of working in a health care, social care or school setting.
- You will have experience of working with bereaved children and their families, showing curiosity, warmth and sensitivity at all times.
- You will have the ability to communicate and liaise effectively with parents/carers and professionals concerning bereaved children, both verbally and in writing.
- It is important that you demonstrate a flexible working style to accommodate individual differences in children according to age, culture, family context and nature of death.
- You will be team-oriented, while having the ability to work well on your own initiative.
If this sounds like you, we will be excited to hear from you!
We welcome applications from everyone regardless of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, faith and religion, disability and age, although we are underrepresented across the organisation with BAME and LGBT employees, and thus we encourage applications from these groups.
Benefits of joining St Christopher’s
- You will gain a stimulating and rewarding career with an opportunity to influence and make a real difference in the community
- Access to excellent training and development opportunities
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- A number of health and wellbeing schemes
- A competitive contributory pension scheme and life assurance scheme with generous beneficiary plan
- An onsite staff canteen
- Access to plenty of free local street parking.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact 0208 768 4500 and ask to speak to the Candle Child Bereavement ServicePlease have a look at our website for further information on all aspects of St Christopher’s at www.stchristophers.org.uk and to apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply Online’ button below.
Closing Date: 8th December 2021 at Midnight
Provisional Interview Date: 14th December 2021
In the event we receive a high amount of applications, we reserve the right to close the job earlier than the initial closing date.
For any queries, please contact our recruitment line on 0208 768 4680