Job vacancy details
Porter and Fleet Manager
- Portering and Fleet Services
- £35,357 per annum
- Permanent - Full Time
- 36 per week (incl. shifts, weekends when required)
- Closing date:
- 1 August 2021
This is a fantastic opportunity to work at a leading Hospice who aspires to a world in which all dying people and those close to them have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it. St Christopher’s Hospice was founded in 1967 by Dame Cicely Saunders and formed part of the modern hospice movement. Proudly celebrating over 50 years and with a turnover of over £20 million, we provide invaluable care and support to over 7,500 people across the five London Boroughs of Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark.
Your new role
We have an exciting opportunity that has arisen for a highly personable and experienced leader, to join our dedicated Porters and Fleet Services. The team are responsible for a variety of tasks such as: greeting patients on admission to the hospice and escorting to the wards, day to day security service: locking and unlocking, setting alarms, security patrols etc, general transportation of goods and materials both off site and within the hospice, driving hospice vehicles when required, removal and replacement of faulty equipment, liaising with external contractors/deliveries, and much more.
As the Porter and Fleet Manager, you will have a key and varied role, managing this busy team serving patients, visitors, staff and other Hospice users. You will be responsible for the management of Transport and Stewards services as well as managing the organisation’s fleet of vehicles. The post holder is also responsible for security of the site, ground maintenance, stationery supplies, post services, mortuary management, moving of furniture and equipment etc. You will provide expert leadership and management, make important decisions (which you will be experienced doing), solve problems, develop departmental procedures, maintain and update records, and participate in meetings across the organisation.
To succeed in this role
- You will have significant experience managing and leading teams, and it would be a bonus if you have completed courses on leadership and management.
- It is important that you have experience working in a similar position within a healthcare setting, and you are knowledgeable of H&S regulation and processes.
- You will champion team work and be a strong communicator, both verbally and written.
- You will have excellent IT skills (Microsoft Office Word, Outlook and Excel).
- It is just as important to us that you are a friendly, positive, approachable and compassionate person.
- You will thrive working in a dynamic department and be able to roll up your sleeves and work hands on.
If this sounds like you, we will be excited to hear from you!
Benefits of joining St Christopher’s
- You will gain a stimulating and rewarding career with an opportunity to influence and make a real difference in the community
- Access to excellent training and development opportunities
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A number of health and wellbeing schemes
- A competitive contributory pension scheme and life assurance scheme with generous beneficiary plan
- An onsite staff canteen
- Private pension scheme
- Annual leave of 25 days plus bank holidays
- Access to plenty of free local street parking
Please have a look at our website for further information on all aspects of St Christopher’s at www.stchristophers.org.uk and to apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply Online’ button below.
In the event we receive a high amount of applications, we reserve the right to close the job earlier than the initial closing date.
Please note, applications received from candidates who have been interviewed for the role within the last 6 months will not be considered.
For any queries, please contact our recruitment line on 0208 768 4680