Job vacancy details
Peer Learner Facilitator
- Community Action
- £26,546 - £27,763 per annum FTE
- Fixed Term - Part Time
- 21.6 hours per week
- Closing date:
- 26 September 2021
This is a fantastic opportunity to work at a leading Hospice who aspires to a world in which all dying people and those close to them have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it. St Christopher’s Hospice was founded in 1967 by Dame Cicely Saunders and formed part of the modern hospice movement. Proudly celebrating over 50 years and with a turnover of over £20 million, we provide invaluable care and support to over 7,500 people across the five London Boroughs of Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark.
Your new role
We have an exciting new role for a Peer Learning Facilitator to join our Community Action Team. The postholder will help members of the community develop their skillsets and explore and learn about ways we can support each other in the community. You’ll take a peer-based approach focused on encouraging a flow of learning between people about community strengths and assets. You’ll help people in peer groups explore important topics, share knowledge and skills between themselves and develop their critical skills.
As a Peer Facilitator, you will:
- Develop our peer learning potential, collaborating with colleagues from across St Christopher’s.
- Facilitate opportunities for people to explore their experiences and become more knowledgeable and skilled in dealing with death, dying and loss themselves.
- Work with members of the community interested in social action to train or upskill them or help them learn about subjects related to death dying and loss or community development.
- Host peer groups and/ or help others in the team to do so.
- Help people understand and explore the context of these situations, different perspectives and lived experiences.
- Introduce learning opportunities for new community participants or volunteers who seek to actively support others with end of life experiences.
- Be an active member of the Community Action team contributing to our goals and helping staff learn about community experiences and perspectives, especially those of lived experience.
- Develop and coach peer-based learning facilitators from the community.
To succeed in this role, you will need to:
- Be an active member of the community, with volunteering or social action experience either with us or in the surrounding community.
- Be curious, interested in learning from others and committed to exploring a variety of experiences.
- Be committed to the idea of experts by experience and community strengths-based learning and development.
- Be able to understand the context of people’s lives, experiences and perspectives and help other people to do this.
- Have experience of working in groups personally or professionally, or volunteering with community members in a person-centred way.
- Be able to present information in a clear accessible way or facilitate groups. Understand the difference between different types of information and needs.
- Give guidance where necessary to staff or community groups wishing to explore peer approaches.
Please note that this post is being offered on a 1-year Fixed Term Contract, and there will be an opportunity for flexibility regarding work hours.
St Christopher’s is an equal opportunities employer, and we welcome applications from everyone regardless of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, faith and religion, disability and age, although we are underrepresented across the organisation with BAME and LGBT employees, and thus we encourage applications from these groups.
Benefits of joining St Christopher’s
- You will gain a stimulating and rewarding career with an opportunity to influence and make a real difference in the community
- Access to excellent training and development opportunities
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- A number of health and wellbeing schemes
- A competitive contributory pension scheme and life assurance scheme with generous beneficiary plan
- An onsite staff canteen
- Access to plenty of free local street parking.
- Some working from home options
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Mary Hodgson, Community Action Lead on 0208 768 4761 or M.Hodgson@StChristophers.org.uk
Please have a look at our website for further information on all aspects of St Christopher’s at www.stchristophers.org.uk and to apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply Online’ button below.
Closing Date: 26th September 2021 at midnight
In the event we receive a high amount of applications, we reserve the right to close the job earlier than the initial closing date.
For any queries, please contact our recruitment line on 0208 768 4680