Job vacancy details
Consultant in Palliative Medicine
- As per NHS Consultant Payscales
- Permanent - Full Time or Part Time
- 1 WTE (part-time or job share will be considered)
- Closing date:
- 21 January 2022
Job Role: Consultant in Palliative Medicine
Hours: 1 WTE post (part-time or job share will be considered)
Location: Sydenham/Bromley, SE London
St Christopher’s was founded in 1967 by Dame Cicely Saunders and she led the development of the modern hospice movement. Fully committed to delivering education and research programmes alongside expert practice related to the experiences of death, dying and loss, we aim to provide a holistic approach to our care, offering help and support at home as well as in outpatient and inpatient settings.
Operating from two locations, one in Sydenham and one in Orpington, our efforts are focused on meeting the goals of people with a life shortening condition and supporting their families and carers wherever we can. Our reach spans across a diverse population of approximately 1.6 million people within the five London Boroughs of Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark. We employ around 500 staff (including bank staff) who work within the community and across our two patient sites. We are supported by around 750 volunteers, many of whom provide their invaluable services on a regular basis.
St Christopher’s is a charity, led by a Board of Trustees and we raise significant funds each year through the generosity and commitment of our local communities. In addition, we raise funds through commercial activities, including charity shops to provide care and support free at the point of need.
Your new role:
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Consultant in Palliative Medicine who is passionate, innovative and collaborative to join our current clinical leadership team which comprises doctors, consultant nurses and AHP’s who are working towards the delivery of a new vision around specialist end of life care. The post will be ideal for an experienced clinician with a track record in service development and clinical leadership who wishes to engage with fresh challenges in the third sector. The pandemic has identified many opportunities for new ways of working for St Christopher’s teams through collaboration
This role, which includes in the region of 1:6 on call, will focus on:Supplementing the current senior clinical team in service development and expansion, specifically to;
Provide specific senior consultant expertise to:
- be part of the medical consultant body offering senior support to the organisation, including on call clinical cover across community, the inpatient unit and Croydon Health Services
- take a lead (permanent or rotational) in development one of the key areas for example, clinical education, Medical Team leadership or quality improvement and research.
- support the continuing development of integrated frailty services
- facilitate effective changes in medical practice as part of our transformation programme
- Support strategic development of medicine as part of our adaption to and influence of developments in palliative and end of life care here and elsewhere
Benefits of joining St Christopher’s
- You will gain a stimulating and rewarding career with an opportunity to influence and make a real difference in the community
- A competitive and progressive salary.
- Enhanced hourly rates for working unsocial hours
- NHS Pension (for active members who wish to transfer and continue their membership)
- Group Pension Plan for non-NHS Pension Staff
- At Least 27 days full time equivalent (rising up to 33 day with service) Annual Leave, plus statutory Bank Holidays normally observed in England and Wales.
- Access to regular Clinical Supervision
- Employee Assistance and Wellbeing support – Employee Assistance Programme – as part of a Corporate Health & Wellbeing Strategy
- Season Ticket Loan
- Free local street parking at Sydenham site.
For further information, or to arrange an informal visit, please contact Dr Joy Ross via 07776 6773278 or via firstname.lastname@example.org
Please have a look at our website for further information on all aspects of St Christopher’s at www.stchristophers.org.uk and to apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply Online’ button below.
Closing date: Friday 21st January 2022
Interviews: w/c 7th February 2022
For any queries, please contact our recruitment line on 0208 768 4680